How is it that Democrats control 7 of Maryland’s 8 U.S. Congressional seats when only 54% of Maryland voters have registered as Democrats?
Simple. By drawing Congressional districts like this one.
It’s called gerrymandering and it’s when politicians in charge – read Democrats – draw the lines so they never have to worry about getting re-elected.
And, in Maryland…it’s about to get worse. A lot worse.
THIS Monday, December 6th, the Maryland General Assembly will consider proposals to draw new congressional district boundary maps.
What they are NOT considering is the maps drawn by the Maryland Bipartisan Independent Citizens Commission that was designed to account for demographic and geographic concerns, not partisanship.
Instead, the Democrats want to hear testimony on maps that will continue to ensure a Republican has a greater chance of getting elected on Pluto than in 8 of Maryland’s 9 congressional districts.
So testimony is what we shall give them.
Please sign up to be heard on Monday night and give the members of the Maryland legislature a piece of your mind during the hearings. See Nicole’s note below on how you can get signed up.
Steven H. Wilson
Howard County Republican Central Committee
Begin forwarded message:
On Wednesday, December 1, 2021, 11:23 PM, Nicole Bennett <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
My fellow Republicans:
On Monday, December 6, the General Assembly will be taking testimony on the CONGRESSIONAL map drawn by the LRAC (Democrat controlled State Legislative Committee). They have chosen their Congressional Map #2 which continues Maryland’s infamous legacy of gerrymandering. We need to pack this Zoom Call with Conservative voices and get our voices on the record as opposing their partisan map. Here is how you can help:
- Sign up to offer testimony. You must sign up for an MGA account in order to offer testimony. To create an account go to: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Account/Login?returnUrl=%2Fmgawebsite%2FMyMGATracking%2FManageLists®isterId=Tracking
- Once your account is created, sign up to testify. Witness signup for the CONGRESSIONAL redistricting opens on DECEMBER 2 at 9:00 am and closes on DECEMBER 3 at 6:00 pm.
- Encourage other like-minded Conservatives to sign up and testify as well.
We need hundreds of people on this Zoom call. While we do not have enough votes to prevent the Dems from passing their Congressional map, we will have on the record hundreds of Marylanders who oppose the LRAC Congressional map. If/When this case is heard in court, your testimony will be invaluable to our case.
Decorum counts! Keep your comments smart, short and clean. Remember we are only testifying regarding the CONGRESSIONAL map. Here are a couple of quick points to make:
- There are too many Counties that have been split for example: Harford, Frederick, Carroll and Howard. We want compact and contiguous districts and a fairly drawn map.
- The Congressional map offered by the LRAC received a failing grade from the Princeton Gerrymandering Project. An “F” was given in the Partisan Fairness category stating “significant Democratic advantage” and Geographic Features “non-compact districts, more county splits than typical”.
Please help us win this important fight. The actions we take NOW will dictate what our districts will look like for the next decade. Looking forward to hearing from you on Monday, December 6
1st Vice Chairman, Maryland Republican Party